- StarSkate Starts September 17
- Welcome back session for ALL Synchro Skaters on Monday, September 25th @ 3:45-4:45. Any skaters interested in joining synchro are invited to attend this session. Regular synchro sessions will begin as follows:
- PA Practice October 4 & 11
- PreCanskate & CanSkate start October 16
- Jumpstart Starts October 17
- Charity Skate December 15
- PA Practice December 18
- Christmas Break December 24 - January 6 inclusive
- Dress Rehearsal / Solo Showcase March 9
- Carnival March 10
Skate Ponoka Apparel
Is your skater wanting Skate Ponoka Apparel? Some skaters have chosen to purchase their choice of black jacket and have them embroidered at Wedins. The hoodies can be purchased and embroidered at Wedins.
Do you have costumes laying around that you don't know what to do with? Skate Ponoka would love to add them to our costume room for upcoming carnivals!
IS THERE STILL SKATING IF OUR SCHOOL IS CLOSED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER?
Yes, our coaches come to the rink despite school closures, however, they do not expect skaters to attend when road conditions or temperatures are hazardous
Duso Pasta has teamed up with Skate Canada and is offering the following awards each month.
Duso’s Male & Female Skaters of the Month AwardsSkate Canada: Alberta-NWT/Nunavut and Duso’s are pleased to offer the Male and Female Skaters of the Month Awards. Duso’s is proud to present $100 to each award recipient.
Duso’s Helping Hand of the Month AwardSkate Canada: Alberta-NWT/Nunavut and Duso’s are pleased to offer the Helping Hand of the Month Award.
If you would like to nominate a Skater of the Month or a Helping Hand, please contact Brandi Abt.
Skate Ponoka Regional Coach Wanted
Skate Ponoka is a non-profit athletic association affiliated with Skate
Canada. We have approximately 25 Starskaters, 15 Jumpstart skaters, and 60 Can/PreCanskaters, as well as 2 Synchronized skating teams. The club executive is made up of parent volunteers, and coaches that work towards the common goal of providing a healthy, positive opportunity for the children and teens in our community to learn to skate, and figure skate.
• Skate Canada Regional Coach in training or higher.
• Provide a photocopy of your Skate Canada Professional Coaching Membership Card
• Be a Coach in Good Standing
• Hold a First Aid Certificate
• Have completed the Making Ethical Decisions online module
• Working towards the new mandatory STAR 1-5 Training and Assessment for coaches.
- Be able to work professionally and cooperatively with skaters, parents, board members and other coaches.
- Have a willingness to upgrade your skills and keep current with changes within Skate Canada.
- Be organized, punctual, and reliable.
To coach StarSkate and CanSkate skaters in semi private and private lessons including travel to competitions if skaters have goals to attend competition.
Evaluate skaters and complete report cards for each session.
To plan and organize the carnival with other coaches and board members.
Tuesdays/ Thursdays/ Fridays and/or Sundays depending on StarSkate session skaters are signed up to attend. Season is from September 17 to March 29, 2018
Leading Edge Series:
Skaters who compete during the year have their top two scores combined to create a final score. Skaters scores are tabulated and the top three athletes with the highest total points achieved in each category across Alberta will be recognized at the 2017 STARSkate & Adult Championships.
Congratulations to Bailey who was Bronze in Star 10 and to Skye who was 7th in Star 8